Glencore Clermont Mine Train Load Out Bin Works
Clermont is a large scale open-cut operation, located approximately 12 kilometres from the town of Clermont in central Queensland.
After commencing operations in 2010, Clermont now produces approximately 12 million metric tonnes of high energy thermal coal with relatively low ash and sulphur using a truck and shovel method.
After processing at Clermont, coal is transported by an overland conveyor to the stockpile and rail loading facilities at the nearbyBlair Athol mine. The coal is exported primarily through the Dalrymple Bay coal terminal.
SCOPE OF WORK
Altrad Services were contracted by Glencore to provide rope access personnel and equipment, during a planned shutdown of operations in July and August 2019, to facilitate the replacement of steel liner plates in the Train Load-Out (TLO) Bin located atClermont Coal Mine’s TLO facility at Blair Athol.
The scope included:
- Preparation works on the temporary support infrastructure located at site;
- Construction risk assessments and red line drawing updates;
- Preparation for access into the Bin (including removal and re-instatement of various components);
- Manually clean Bin internals and remove all coal hang-ups;• Removal and installation of wear plates (half the circumference of the Bin between RL 344.840 andRL352.650);
- The in-situ liners were a combination of weld-on and bolt-on- a total of 34 liners (all weld-on) were installed;• Completed NDT visual and UTT inspection of both internal and external shells of the Bin and provide relevant reports;• Completed dye penetrant NDT testing of all welds on installed plates.
NOTABLE BENEFITS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- First scope ever executed from ropes on site – shutdown was completed on time and in budget exceeding Client expectations.
- Altrad Services team formulated a plan to utilise the overhead gantry crane and transfer all materials fromthe knife gate opening at the bottom of the Bin, effectively eliminating “load shadow” and the need to remove workers from the workfront during plate lifts. Significant positive impact on safety and productivity.
- Altrad Services team completed the external UTT NDT inspection of selected areas of the external walls, due to mechanical failure of the site EWP being used by the third-party NDT contractor. The additional scope was completed, ultimately providing the Client with a 100% visual NDT inspection and report of the entire external walls and structure.
- 2,419 Manhours
- LTi Free
Feel free to contact